Wild Rice Mushroom Omelet Recipe
Since wild rice is plentiful here, I love to create recipes starring that crunchy staple. Pork sausage helps spice up the mild rice flavor in this hearty omelet, which is draped with a silky-smooth cheese sauce. You can easily serve it to guests with little last-minute fuss. Bonnie Bourdeau Akeley, Minnesota
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1-1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 14 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove and set aside. In the skillet, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add mushrooms; heat through. Stir in the sausage, rice and parsley.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, water, salt and pepper. Heat an 8-in. nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup egg mixture. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. When nearly set, spoon 1/2 cup of sausage-rice mixture over one side of eggs; fold in half and press down lightly for about 30 seconds. Remove and keep warm. Repeat to make six more omelets.
- For cheese sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in bouillon until dissolved. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in cheese until melted. Drizzle over omelets. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 7 omelets.
Originally published as Wild Rice Mushroom Omelet in Taste of Home April/May 2001, p29
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Wild Rice Mushroom Omelet(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >