Wild Rice Meat Loaf
I've shared this recipe with many friends. The unique, hearty meat loaf is full of surprises - tangy wild rice and pockets of cheddar cheese make it extra special. Even so, it's not that tricky to prepare...try it and see!
-Genie Lang, Jamestown, North Dakota
4-6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound uncooked ground beef
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef
- over mixture and mix well.
- Firmly press into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered,
- at 350° for 70 minutes. Cover with foil during the last 15
- minutes if the top is browning too quickly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 504 calories, 20 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 157 mg cholesterol, 932 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot