Wild Rice Chowder Recipe
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) cubed process American cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in flour and salt. Gradually stir in water and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 2. Stir in the wild rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the milk, cheese, parsley and bacon; cook and stir until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1-1/3 cups) equals 329 calories, 23 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 894 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Reviews for Wild Rice Chowder
"this was really good, and so easy to make. Will make again and again."
"My family loved this soup it is a keeper."