- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) cubed process American cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in flour and salt. Gradually stir in water and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in the wild rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the milk, cheese, parsley and bacon; cook and stir until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Wild Rice Chowder in Quick Cooking September/October 2005, p46
Reviews for Wild Rice Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2012
"this was really good, and so easy to make. Will make again and again."
Reviewed Oct. 16, 2009
"My family loved this soup it is a keeper."