- 2 packages (8.8 ounces each) ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen French-style green beans, thawed
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 jars (4 ounces each) sliced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup slivered almonds, divided
- Heat rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the green beans, soup, water chestnuts, onion, pimientos, mayonnaise, milk and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken and rice; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until chicken is heated through.
- Transfer half of the mixture to a serving dish; sprinkle with 1/2 cup almonds. Serve immediately. Pour the remaining mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; cool. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (6-8 servings each).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Wild Rice Chicken Dinner
"my hubby, who is extremely picky, really liked this dish. Will definitely be making it again. I used leftover turkey rather than chicken, but in future would use whichever I have on hand. We discussed next time perhaps using a large red pepper or two rather than pimentos, since, oddly, we couldn't really taste the pimentos. Still a great tasting, very easy to make dish! Oh, another thing, we are Miracle Whip people, but for this dish I did use Mayonnaise, and we did NOT find it overpowering at all. I wonder if the folks who thought the taste was too strong were using Miracle Whip?"
"Husband loved this! We will eat it again!"
"This sounded so good but it was just okay. I added a small jar of sliced mushrooms. It isn't easy to heat up and there is no point in doing it in 2 steps. It was quite thick and I don't think the mayo is the right ingredient for this dish. Maybe light sour cream. The 'saucy' part of this recipe should be mixed before adding all the other stuff to make it easier to blend. I would omit the water chestnuts or coarsely chop next time."
"We call this dish Chicken Spectacular. I have been cooking this recipe for years and my family loves it. I add mushrooms and I sprinkle Cheddar Cheese on the top approx 15 min before it is done just so the cheese can melt and brown. You can also add the Fried onions rings on the top of the casserole if you like."
"This recipe is easy and delicious! Everyone that tries it likes it and wants the recipe. It is comfort food with lots of flavor."