Wild Rice Chicken Dinner Recipe
- 2 packages (8.8 ounces each) ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen French-style green beans, thawed
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 jars (4 ounces each) sliced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup slivered almonds, divided
- 1. Heat rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the green beans, soup, water chestnuts, onion, pimientos, mayonnaise, milk and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken and rice; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until chicken is heated through.
- 2. Transfer half of the mixture to a serving dish; sprinkle with 1/2 cup almonds. Serve immediately. Pour the remaining mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; cool. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 3. To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (6-8 servings each).
1-1/3 cup: 357 calories, 21g fat (3g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 491mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein
Reviews for Wild Rice Chicken Dinner
"my hubby, who is extremely picky, really liked this dish. Will definitely be making it again. I used leftover turkey rather than chicken, but in future would use whichever I have on hand. We discussed next time perhaps using a large red pepper or two rather than pimentos, since, oddly, we couldn't really taste the pimentos. Still a great tasting, very easy to make dish! Oh, another thing, we are Miracle Whip people, but for this dish I did use Mayonnaise, and we did NOT find it overpowering at all. I wonder if the folks who thought the taste was too strong were using Miracle Whip?"
"Husband loved this! We will eat it again!"
"This sounded so good but it was just okay. I added a small jar of sliced mushrooms. It isn't easy to heat up and there is no point in doing it in 2 steps. It was quite thick and I don't think the mayo is the right ingredient for this dish. Maybe light sour cream. The 'saucy' part of this recipe should be mixed before adding all the other stuff to make it easier to blend. I would omit the water chestnuts or coarsely chop next time."
"We call this dish Chicken Spectacular. I have been cooking this recipe for years and my family loves it. I add mushrooms and I sprinkle Cheddar Cheese on the top approx 15 min before it is done just so the cheese can melt and brown. You can also add the Fried onions rings on the top of the casserole if you like."
"This recipe is easy and delicious! Everyone that tries it likes it and wants the recipe. It is comfort food with lots of flavor."
"1st time to try so i halved the recipe b/c there's only 3 of us and i didn't want too many left overs. my guys gobbled it up but said "it's nothing special". i liked it but thought it needed something else. i ate it w/tortilla chips instead of using sliced almonds. i don't like pimientos but used them anyway - VERY GOOD FLAVORS, will try it again w/some changes. i went easy on the mayo but added some sour cream (2 TBL) thanks for the recipe!"
"Very filling and tastes pretty great! I am looking forward to trying it again and making personal tweaks. :)"
"Great recipe and should be enjoyed throughout the year!"
"Sometimes it's good to be forced to make substitutes! I was out of mayo so I substituted sour cream. I had leftover relish tray veggies so I roasted them and added them instead of using the green beans. It was very tasty, but the leftovers were amazing!!"
"Tastes like mayo"
"My husband and I didn't really like how much mayo was used, and even when we lowered it, the taste was really strong. The water chestnuts were a nice addition, though!"
"What was good about this recipe is that the dish comes together extremely quickly when you have all the ingredients in the pantry. My family enjoyed the dish and I will make again, however we did agree that it could use some type of kick to the flavor. I'll try with cream of chicken soup next time or maybe a combination of chicken and golden mushroom."
"Wow, can't get any easier than this. This is a easy recipe that tastes excellent!"
"My family loved it. Nice blend of flavors and just enough crunch to make it interesting"
"Delicious - love the crunch from the water chestnuts! Will definitely make again!"
"This was a fast & easy supper to put on the table. It was a hot & tasty meal. I added a little more milk, because I like it a bit more moist. I especially liked the sprinkle of almonds on top. Next time I make this, I plan to use Cream of Chicken or Cream of Mushroom Soup, just to experiment."
"this is so good!"
"Delicious! My husband who finds most chicken casserole dishes bland and flavorless, loves this dish. I bring it to pot lucks and always get asked for the recipe."
"Took it from the freezer tonight and it was delicious. I might put mushrooms instead of water chestnuts next time. Heats up well."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.