My husband of 51 years loves to eat and I love to cook, so we're both happy when I make this casserole. It's nice and creamy with a little crunch from almonds. The chicken is canned, but you'd never know it from the taste.—Mrs. Darrell Plinsky, Wichita, Kansas
Recommended: 50 Chicken Recipes in a 13x9 Pan
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10 ounces) chunk white chicken, drained
- Prepare the rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute the onion, almonds and parsley in butter for 4-5 minutes or until onion is tender and almonds are lightly toasted.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, milk, broth, salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in the chicken, rice and vegetables.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish (mixture will be thin). Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Wild Rice Chicken Casserole in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p128
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Wild Rice Chicken Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 19, 2012
"It was really runny, I wonder if you could cut back on the liquid and how much. I enjoyed the taste, my 2 year old loved it! I would put more chicken in next time."