- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 1/2 cup beer or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, apple, beer or additional broth, wild rice and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine cheese and flour; gradually add to soup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; stir in cream. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Wild Rice Cheese Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p186
Reviews for Wild Rice Cheese Soup(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 19, 2011
I have made this several times and it always turns out wonderful - I followed the ingredients and directions exactly.
Reviewed Nov. 1, 2011
I own a Bed & Breakfast and have prepared this soup for luncheons a number of time in the fall. It always gets rave reviews.