- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 1/2 cup beer or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, apple, beer or additional broth, wild rice and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine cheese and flour; gradually add to soup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; stir in cream. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Wild Rice Cheese Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p186
Reviews for Wild Rice Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 19, 2011
"I have made this several times and it always turns out wonderful - I followed the ingredients and directions exactly."