- 1 package (4 ounces) wild rice
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby or Gouda cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash white pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions. Spread in greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°. Place asparagus and 1/2 in. of water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute ham in 2 tablespoons butter until lightly browned. Spoon over wild rice.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. In the same skillet, heat remaining butter until hot. Add egg mixture; cook and stir over medium heat until eggs are completely set. Spoon over ham; top with asparagus.
- For sauce, heat oil in a saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cheese, ginger and pepper. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Pour over casserole. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Wild Rice Brunch Casserole in Country February/March 2005, p49
Reviews for Wild Rice Brunch Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 5, 2010
"Fantastic recipe as written. I am going to try this with broccoli too. Thanks so much."