Wild Rice Bread
"Wild rice is abundant in our state, so I use it in many recipes," shares Dotty Egge of Pelican Rapids, Minnesota. "Combined with caraway, the wild rice lends and excellent flavor to this hearty bread."
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
- manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and
- loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions
- (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of
- water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf, 16 slices (1-1/2 pounds).
Editor's Note: The use of the time feature is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutritional Facts: One slice equals 82 calories, 147 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 15 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 1 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.