Wild Rice Barley Salad
I like this chilled salad because it's out of the ordinary. The rice is tossed with barley, green pepper, olives and cranberries, then coated with a tangy vinaigrette.
-Mared Metzger Beling, Eagle River, Alaska
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 cup cooked barley
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Cook rice according to package directions. In a large serving bowl,
- combine the rice, barley, green pepper, olives and cranberries.
- In a blender, combine the vinegar, basil, green onion, garlic and
- pepper. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- Drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until
- chilled. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 274 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 482 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.