You're in for a treat if you've never tasted wild rice from Minnesota! Wild rice is actually a cereal grain that's full of fiber and minerals. It's not only healthful, but delicious-especially when prepared in this dish.
Featured In: 30 Fall Harvest Salads
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup wild rice
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Drain if necessary.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, apples, celery, brown sugar and lemon juice. Combine the dressing ingredients; pour over rice mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Wild Rice Salad in Country August/September 1990, p51
Reviews for Wild Rice Apple Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 27, 2010
"Love this salad. Had it at a brunch, had to have the recipe. But my friend had used sour cream in place of the yogurt. I like it,not crazy about yogurt. making this salad for the week-end.."