Wild Rice and Ham Chowder Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Add the potatoes, carrot, bay leaf, thyme and nutmeg; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the rice, ham, cream and corn; heat through (do not boil). Discard bay leaf. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Wild Rice and Ham Chowder(6)
Sort By :
I have been making this soup for years and it is truly our favorite. I sometimes make it for church suppers and everyone loves it. Sometimes I use dried onions or shredded carrots, just depends on how busy I am. But this soup is just the best ever!
This is some of the best soup I have ever made. Will definitely make this again!
This was great! I took some timesaving shortcuts and it was still wonderful. I used canned diced potatoes and canned carrots and dried onion. Can't imagine it being any better with hard labor involved :) Definitely cut the time way back too as you don't have to wait for the veggies to soften. I used 2 cans potatoes and 1 can of carrots.
Soooo good!! The perfect soup for a cold winter day :)
Oh WOW this is DELICIOUS! Unfortunately I had no idea it made so much, and I am cooking for two, lol. This is hearty, warm, delicious, and comforting... all in one bowl. We will definitely be making this one again!