- 10 cups water
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 to 4 cups cubed cooked roast beef
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- Place the first seven ingredients in a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add beef and rice.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth. Stir into the soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the butter and seasonings.
- Combine the baking mix, cheese and milk. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 14 servings (about 5 quarts).
Originally published as Wild Rice and Cheddar Dumpling Soup in Country Extra November 2009, p51
Reviews for Wild Rice and Cheddar Dumpling Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 16, 2012
This was the best soup we have had in years!!! So hearty and good. Although I cheated and made garlic cheese dumplings which made it even better. Really yummy.
Reviewed May. 3, 2011
Great flavors, hearty meal and absolutely delicious!!