I’m a homemaker and enjoy preparing hearty soups and stews for my husband and two daughters. This is one of their favorites.
- 10 cups water
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 to 4 cups cubed cooked roast beef
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- Place the first seven ingredients in a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add beef and rice.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth. Stir into the soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the butter and seasonings.
- Combine the baking mix, cheese and milk. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 14 servings (about 5 quarts).
Originally published as Wild Rice and Cheddar Dumpling Soup in Country Extra November 2009, p51
Reviews for Wild Rice and Cheddar Dumpling Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 16, 2012
"This was the best soup we have had in years!!! So hearty and good. Although I cheated and made garlic cheese dumplings which made it even better. Really yummy."
Reviewed May. 3, 2011
"Great flavors, hearty meal and absolutely delicious!!"