Wild Rice and Barley Soup Mix Recipe
Warm up your loved ones on frosty winter nights with this hearty, stick-to-the-ribs soup mix. Layered in pretty bow-tied jars, it looks as good as it tastes. Include prep instructions!
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/3 cup dried vegetable flakes
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup dried minced onion
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 8 cups water
- Real bacon bits, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a pint-size jar with a tight-fitting lid, layer the barley, vegetable flakes, brown sugar mixture, bouillon granules, rice and onion, packing each layer tightly (do not mix). Cover and store in a cool dry place for up to 4 months. Yield: 1 batch.
- 2. To prepare soup: Pour mix into a large saucepan. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with bacon bits if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 151 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 8 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC