Wild Rice and Barley Soup Mix Recipe
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/3 cup dried vegetable flakes
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup dried minced onion
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 8 cups water
- Real bacon bits, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a pint-size jar with a tight-fitting lid, layer the barley, vegetable flakes, brown sugar mixture, bouillon granules, rice and onion, packing each layer tightly (do not mix). Cover and store in a cool dry place for up to 4 months. Yield: 1 batch.
- 2. To prepare soup: Pour mix into a large saucepan. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with bacon bits if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 151 calories, 1g fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 8mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Wild Rice and Barley Soup Mix
"Easy to prepare and smells the kitchen up like Thanksgiving before the pies go in! I added sauteed mushrooms to my own and of all things - a handful of cashews! Yummy!! The only thing I would do different is exchange the chicken bouillon for something less salty. Maybe a soup mix or something. Otherwise I love this and I will definitely have jars on hand to give at Chrismas. Winner!"
"Is the brown sugar a mistake in this recipe? I've never seen sugar in soup before..."
"I have been looking for dried vegetable flakes. Any suggestions where do buy them at a reasonable price. I need these by Dec 1 2008. Would love some suggestions, even online buying."