Warm up your loved ones on frosty winter nights with this hearty, stick-to-the-ribs soup mix. Layered in pretty bow-tied jars, it looks as good as it tastes. Include prep instructions!
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/3 cup dried vegetable flakes
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup dried minced onion
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 8 cups water
- Real bacon bits, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a pint-size jar with a tight-fitting lid, layer the barley, vegetable flakes, brown sugar mixture, bouillon granules, rice and onion, packing each layer tightly (do not mix). Cover and store in a cool dry place for up to 4 months. Yield: 1 batch.
- To prepare soup: Pour mix into a large saucepan. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with bacon bits if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Wild Rice and Barley Soup Mix in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2005, p37
Reviews for Wild Rice and Barley Soup Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review