- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/3 cup dried vegetable flakes
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup dried minced onion
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 8 cups water
- Real bacon bits, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a pint-size jar with a tight-fitting lid, layer the barley, vegetable flakes, brown sugar mixture, bouillon granules, rice and onion, packing each layer tightly (do not mix). Cover and store in a cool dry place for up to 4 months. Yield: 1 batch.
- To prepare soup: Pour mix into a large saucepan. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with bacon bits if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Wild Rice and Barley Soup Mix
Sort By :
"Easy to prepare and smells the kitchen up like Thanksgiving before the pies go in! I added sauteed mushrooms to my own and of all things - a handful of cashews! Yummy!! The only thing I would do different is exchange the chicken bouillon for something less salty. Maybe a soup mix or something. Otherwise I love this and I will definitely have jars on hand to give at Chrismas. Winner!"