- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium navel oranges
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Rinse wild rice thoroughly; drain. In a large saucepan, combine rice and 5 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 60-70 minutes or until rice is fluffy and tender. Drain if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring remaining broth to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork.
- Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Finely grate enough peel from oranges to measure 2 teaspoons; place in a large bowl. Cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of each orange; stand orange upright on a cutting board. With a knife, cut off peel and outer membrane from orange. Working over the same large bowl with orange peel to catch juices, cut along the membrane of each segment to remove fruit. Cut orange sections in half; stir into orange juice and peel. Add cranberries, almonds, parsley, rice, quinoa and onion mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil, thyme, vinegar, salt and pepper until blended. Pour over rice mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Wild Rice, Quinoa & Cranberry Salad in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p106
Reviews for Wild Rice, Quinoa & Cranberry Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review