Wild Rice & Cranberry Loaves Recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons aniseed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup cooked wild rice, cooled
- In a large bowl, mix the first seven ingredients and 1-1/2 cups bread flour. In a small saucepan, heat milk, water, molasses and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in cranberries, rice and enough remaining bread flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans, seam side down. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 servings each).
Originally published as Wild Rice & Cranberry Loaves in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p35
Reviews for Wild Rice & Cranberry Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 21, 2014