- 5 pounds wild plums, halved and pitted
- 4 cups water
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 7-1/2 cups sugar
- In a stockpot, simmer plums and water until tender, about 30 minutes. Line a strainer with four layers of cheesecloth and place over a bowl. Place plum mixture in strainer; cover with edges of cheesecloth. Let stand for 30 minutes or until liquid measures 5-1/2 cups.
- Return liquid to the pan. Add pectin; stir and bring to a boil. Add sugar; bring to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off any foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: about 8 half-pints.
Reviews for Wild Plum Jelly
"Hi Cbick,We don't recommend altering the sugar in any recipe that's processed. It can change the outcome of the recipe significantly, including the safety of the final product.Sue StetzelOnline Community / Field Editor ManagerTaste of Home Magazine"
"I followed this recipe exactly. It set up nicely and is very pretty however it is way too sweet. I think I would be happier with 1/2 the amount of sugar..."
"This recipe is so good. The only thing I did different was increase the sugar by one cup. I have made this four times and it always turns out great. I also get two more half pints than what it says it makes."
"I've never made jelly before and this recipe turned out just like my mothers. It was very easy to prepare and I was very pleased with the final product. Thanks."
"Just finished making this Jelly from my own Native Plum Trees! The recipe was easy to follow and worked perfectly. It is delicious!"