- 5 pounds wild plums, halved and pitted
- 4 cups water
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 7-1/2 cups sugar
- In a stockpot, simmer plums and water until tender, about 30 minutes. Line a strainer with four layers of cheesecloth and place over a bowl. Place plum mixture in strainer; cover with edges of cheesecloth. Let stand for 30 minutes or until liquid measures 5-1/2 cups.
- Return liquid to the pan. Add pectin; stir and bring to a boil. Add sugar; bring to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off any foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: about 8 half-pints.
Reviews for Wild Plum Jelly
Sort By :
"I've never made jelly before and this recipe turned out just like my mothers. It was very easy to prepare and I was very pleased with the final product. Thanks."
"Just finished making this Jelly from my own Native Plum Trees! The recipe was easy to follow and worked perfectly. It is delicious!"
"This is a great jelly! We have lots of wild plums lining our country roads and I hate to see them go to waste! I have made this every year and our 4 kids love to have it with their breakfast! Thanks for a great recipe!"
"It's a bit extra work preparing the plum juice, but so worth the work. The jelly color is beautiful and great as gifts. The jelly is so clear you can see thru it in the jars. I found the color was dependent upon how red the plum skins were."
"Hello, Hope all is well. Riverside Sand Plums is excited to tell you about our upcoming harvest. The weather has been the right condition for our plum growth and our 2014 harvest will begin in about 3 weeks and we will start filling orders! We haven't forgot about you! If you still would like to purchase some of our delicious organic fruit, trees, & seeds please provide your phone number and the amount desired for purchase. We sell our sand plums by the pound & bushel. As usual our harvest is first come first serve so get you name on the list as soon as possible. There isn't another fruit in the world as rare as the River Side Sand Plum. Thanks for your time and God Bless! We also sell trees from our nursery, Sand plums, American plums, and blackberry vines. www.riversidesandplums.com (405) 882-4879 pre- order today!"