Wild Goose with Giblet Stuffing Recipe
This recipe is one of our favorite ways to prepare goose and it's especially nice for the holidays. My husband does a lot of hunting, so I'm always looking for new ways to fix game. — Louise Laginess, East Jordan, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 wild goose (6 to 8 pounds)
- Lemon wedges
- Goose giblets
- 2 cups water
- 10 cups crumbled corn bread
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Butter, softened
- 1. Rub inside goose cavity with lemon and salt; set aside. In a saucepan, cook giblets in water until tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- 2. Remove giblets with a slotted spoon and reserve liquid. Chop giblets and place in a large bowl with the corn bread, apples, onion, parsley, sage, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add enough of the reserved cooking liquid to make a moist stuffing; toss gently. Stuff the body and neck cavity; truss openings. Place goose, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Spread with softened butter.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25 minutes per pound or until fully cooked and tender. If goose is an older bird, add 1 cup of water to pan and cover for the last hour of baking. Yield: 6-8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC