- 2 wild ducks, cut up
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 cups sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 quarts water
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown duck in batches in oil. Remove and set aside. Discard all but 2/3 cup drippings. Add flour to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until brown, 12-14 minutes. Add sausage, onion, green pepper, celery, parsley and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the next eight ingredients. Add duck; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 60-75 minutes or until duck is tender.
- Remove duck. Cool. Debone and cut into chunks; return to pan. Simmer 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Remove bay leaves. Serve with rice. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Wild Duck Gumbo in Taste of Home December/January 1996 , p33
Reviews for Wild Duck Gumbo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review