Wild Asparagus Salad Recipe
When most fresh vegetables are yet to sprout, the first shoots of asparagus make a mouthwatering treat. This is the first vegetables dish on our table every year.—Karen Grasley, Quadeville, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:4 servings
- 3/4 pound wild asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1. Cook asparagus until crisp-tender; drain and rinse in cold water. Place in a shallow dish; top with olives and egg.
- 2. In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine oil, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, paprika, mustard and cayenne pepper; shake well. Pour over asparagus. Chill for several hours or overnight. Garnish with tomatoes. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 323 calories, 30 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 406 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC