A homemade wheat dough makes these "pigs in a blanket" stand out from all other varieties. They go great with a cup of soup or are a nice snack by themselves.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 slices process American cheese
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 8 hot dogs
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add whole wheat flour,
- brown sugar, salt and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add enough
- all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface;
- knead for 6-8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Cover and let
- rest 10 minutes. Roll into a 20-in. x 14-in. rectangle; cut into
- eight 7-in. x 5-in. pieces. On each piece of dough, place a slice of
- cheese, 1 teaspoon ketchup and a hot dog. Fold edges of dough over
- and press tightly to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at
- 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 427 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 1,015 mg sodium,