Wholesome Whole-Grain Waffles Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- Mixed fresh berries and confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, flax, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg yolks, milk, oil and applesauce; stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 3. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with berries and confectioners' sugar if desired.
- 4. To freeze, arrange waffles in a single layer on sheet pans. Freeze overnight or until frozen. Transfer to a resealable plastic freezer bag. Waffles may be frozen for up to 2 months.
- 5. To use frozen waffles: Reheat waffles in a toaster. Serve with berries and confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12 waffles.
2 waffles (calculated without berries and confectioners' sugar) equals 278 calories, 11 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 456 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.