Wholesome Wheat Bread Recipe
My sister and I were in 4-H, and Mom was our breads project leader for years. Because of that early training, fresh homemade bread like this is a staple in my own kitchen. -Karen Wingate, Coldwater, Kansas
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the sugar, butter, honey, milk powder, salt and whole wheat flour; beat until smooth. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch down. Shape dough into traditional loaves or divide into fourths and roll each portion into a 15-in. rope. Twist two ropes together. Place in greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
One slice (prepared with margarine) equals 144 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Reviews for Wholesome Wheat Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC