Wholesome Wheat Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the sugar, butter, honey, milk powder, salt and whole wheat flour; beat until smooth. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch down. Shape dough into traditional loaves or divide into fourths and roll each portion into a 15-in. rope. Twist two ropes together. Place in greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 144 calories, 2g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Reviews for Wholesome Wheat Bread
"This loaf is nice and soft and light. It has a great flavor. It did not rise as much as I would have liked in the bread pans, but I think it may be partially due to me opening the oven door after about 10 minutes of baking to check on it and creating a draft. I cut a loaf warm, and it sliced very nicely, so I think it is a good bread for making sandwiches."
"fantastic and easy recipe! only small change...I used honey and molasses (half and half) and used BEST for BREAD white all purpose flour for the white flour portion. so tender, flavorful, and easy!!!!!!!!"
"turned out very nice and rose well abovepans."
"I make this almost every other day! We love this bread for sandwhiches! I recently tried this with coconut oil instead of the butter and agave instead of the honey and it is still amazing. I did add 1 tablespoon of vital wheat gluten per one 1 cup of wheat four and my kids really like the white wheat flourl."
"Very good with a nice texture.Very good toasted as well."