Wholesome Veggie Burgers Recipe
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 6 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 12 lettuce leaves
- 12 slices tomato
- 12 slices sweet onion
- 1. Place bulgur in a bowl; stir in water. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain and squeeze dry if needed.
- 2. Place carrot and garlic in a food processor; cover and process until carrot is chopped. Add red pepper and onion; cover and pulse until red pepper is chopped. Add beans; cover and process until mixture is chunky.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oats, walnuts, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, cornmeal, bulgur and carrot mixture; stir until mixture is firm (mixture will be sticky). Shape into 12 patties. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 4. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook four patties in 2 teaspoons oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Repeat with remaining patties and oil. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato and onion. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 306 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 481mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 10g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Wholesome Veggie Burgers
"We eat veggie burgers regularly, but I'm afraid we did not like this recipe. The kidney beans and Italian seasoning really did not go together. Perhaps it would be okay with a different type of bean, but I don't plan to make this again."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.