Wholesome Veggie Burgers Recipe
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 6 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 12 lettuce leaves
- 12 slices tomato
- 12 slices sweet onion
- 1. Place bulgur in a bowl; stir in water. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain and squeeze dry if needed.
- 2. Place carrot and garlic in a food processor; cover and process until carrot is chopped. Add red pepper and onion; cover and pulse until red pepper is chopped. Add beans; cover and process until mixture is chunky.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oats, walnuts, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, cornmeal, bulgur and carrot mixture; stir until mixture is firm (mixture will be sticky). Shape into 12 patties. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 4. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook four patties in 2 teaspoons oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Repeat with remaining patties and oil. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato and onion. Yield: 12 servings.
1 burger equals 306 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 481 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.