Chopped walnuts punch up the protein and add wonderful crunch and flavor to the budget-friendly burgers Ellen Kosik Williams serves up in Painted Post, New York. “I usually freeze half and cook them later for vegetarian friends who drop by,“ she says. They also double as veggie meatballs or wonderful stuffing for baked bell peppers.“
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 6 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 12 lettuce leaves
- 12 slices tomato
- 12 slices sweet onion
- Place bulgur in a bowl; stir in water. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain and squeeze dry if needed.
- Place carrot and garlic in a food processor; cover and process until carrot is chopped. Add red pepper and onion; cover and pulse until red pepper is chopped. Add beans; cover and process until mixture is chunky.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oats, walnuts, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, cornmeal, bulgur and carrot mixture; stir until mixture is firm (mixture will be sticky). Shape into 12 patties. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook four patties in 2 teaspoons oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Repeat with remaining patties and oil. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato and onion. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Wholesome Veggie Burgers in Light & Tasty June/July 2006, p39
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Wholesome Veggie Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review