Wholesome Grain Loaves Recipe
This recipe began as a basic wheat bread. I added wholesome graham flour, raisins and sunflower kernels. Now my family begs me to make this for them.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup graham flour or additional whole wheat flour
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the brown sugar, butter, egg, cinnamon, salt, graham flour and 3 cups whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining whole wheat flour and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface. Sprinkle with raisins and sunflower kernels. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 loaves each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 172 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 130 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC