Wholesome Banana Bread Recipe
“In an effort to make more healthy homemade breakfasts, I cut a lot of fat out of my regular banana bread recipe,” writes Sarah Bialock, Yuma, Arizona. “This bread turns out so moist and delicious, you won't believe it's light!”
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Beat in the banana, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the remaining ingredients; add to creamed mixture.
- 2. Transfer to two 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 mini loaves (6 slices each).
1 slice equals 91 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 99 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC