- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread
- 1-1/2 cups shredded peeled tart apples (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute celery and onion in oil for 4 minutes. Add the carrot, parsley and rosemary; saute 2-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetable mixture, bread cubes, apples and hazelnuts. In a small bowl, combine the egg, cider, pepper and salt. Add to stuffing mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 165°. Yield: 6 cups.
Originally published as Wholesome Apple-Hazelnut Stuffing in Light & Tasty October/November 2007, p43
Reviews for Wholesome Apple-Hazelnut Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 16, 2009
This recipe sounds great. Can it be cooked in a slow cooker?
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2007