Whole Wheat Wild Rice Bread Recipe
In Manistique, Michigan, Bonnie Groh adds texture and subtle nutty flavor to homemade bread by mixing in nutritious wild rice. Moist and heartwarming, this bread makes a terrific snack or side.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, milk, butter and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in the wild rice and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 116 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 203 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC