Whole Wheat Wild Rice Bread Recipe
In Manistique, Michigan, Bonnie Groh adds texture and subtle nutty flavor to homemade bread by mixing in nutritious wild rice. Moist and heartwarming, this bread makes a terrific snack or side.
- 3 cups King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, milk, butter and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in the wild rice and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Wild Rice Bread in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p53
Reviews for Whole Wheat Wild Rice Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review