Whole Wheat Waffles Recipe
"Finding a homemade waffle recipe that's low in calories is difficult," relates Jessica Beare Edmunds of Kingsland, Georgia. "So I modified a recipe I had, substituting fat-free plain yogurt for the oil or margarine. For a little variety, I sometimes use a flavored yogurt instead of plain."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1-3/4 cups 1% milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg substitute until frothy. Stir in the milk, yogurt and vanilla. Combine the flours, sugar substitute, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir into milk mixture just until combined. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Yield: 20 waffles (4-in. x 4-in.).
2 waffles equals 127 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC