Whole Wheat Strawberry Shortcakes Recipe
Nothing says spring better than a fresh strawberry shortcake. Heaven. My mother and I usually make this with strawberries we picked ourselves. —Sarah Hatter, Brodhead, Wisconsin
- 2-1/2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled, divided
- 1 to 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- Whipped cream
- 1. In a bowl, thoroughly mash 3/4 cup strawberries; stir in syrup. Cut remaining strawberries into 1/4-in. slices; add to crushed strawberries and toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk egg, milk and honey until blended; stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat or roll dough to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes or until light brown. Remove to wire racks to cool slightly.
- 4. To serve, split shortcakes in half. Fill with strawberry mixture and whipped cream. Top with additional whipped cream. Yield: 6 servings.
1 shortcake (calculated without whipped cream) equals 362 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 549 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC