- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg white
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and egg white; beat well. In another bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda and salt; beat into creamed mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients. Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls; roll in cinnamon-sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes. Cookies will puff up, then flatten, as they bake. Cool. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Whole Wheat Snickerdoodles
"The best snickerdoodles I have ever eaten! So soft, yet chewy. A great way to use the whole wheat flour from my native state of Kansas! Thank you for the recipe, Jana."
"I have been making these since they first came out in the print edition in 1993. What appealed to me was the lack of cream of tartar, which I find leaves a metallic taste in my mouth. The egg white pulls it together beautifully. Soft, delicious. You definitely must try them!"
"Great cookie. I'm always looking for recipes that use whole wheat flour. This is a keeper. Also, I used two whole eggs instead of one and a white and they turned out find."
"Have made these over and over. My friend's kids, visiting from England, loved them so much, I keep sending them a batch whenever I get a chance."
"I think we have a new favorite cookie! I used 2 3/4 cups of wheat pastry flour. They are soft and yummy."
"I make these cookies at least every other week-at 138 cal for 2 cookies I'm okay with these in Phase III of the South Beach diet. I made them for work and had to post the recipe, I had so many requests."
"wanted to give these a bump up!!! They are so good! A very soft and flavorful cookie! :)"
"Best snickerdoodles ever! We prefer these to the more traditional snickerdoodles and they're healthier too!"