Whole Wheat Rolls Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Canola oil, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, sugar, yeast and salt; set aside. In a large saucepan, heat milk, water and butter to 120°-130° add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; shape into 12 balls. Place in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Brush tops with oil if desired.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Analysis: One roll (prepared with skim milk and margarine and without additional oil) equals 196 calories, 250 mg sodium, 18 mg cholesterol, 34 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm protein, 5 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.