Whole Wheat Refrigerator Rolls Recipe
This roll recipe is easy and versatile. I like to mix up the dough beforehand and let it rise in the refrigerator. The rolls brown nicely and are wonderful served warm.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, egg, oil, salt and 3 cups all-purpose flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
- 2. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Punch dough down and form into dinner-sized rolls. Place on greased baking sheets for plain rolls or knots, or in greased muffin tins for cloverleaf rolls. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour for dough prepared the same day or 1-2 hours for refrigerated dough.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm. If desired, dough may be kept up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Punch down daily. Yield: 24 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 159 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC