- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, egg, oil, salt and 3 cups all-purpose flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down and form into dinner-size rolls. Place on greased baking sheets for plain rolls or knots, or in greased muffin tins for cloverleaf rolls. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour for dough prepared the same day or 1-2 hours for refrigerated dough.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm. If desired, dough may be kept up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Punch down daily. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews for Whole Wheat Refrigerator Rolls
Sort By :
"Made the dough the day before Thanksgiving. Only needed 12 rolls on turkey day so I saved the balance of the dough in the refrigerator. On the fourth day I put the douugh in a glass bread pan , let it rise and then baked for 40 minutes at 350. It not only makes tasty rolls, it makes tasty bread. I like the idea that you can bake a loaf of bread the day you make the dough and then bake one four days later so you can always have fresh baked bread."
"Made these with Splenda and a little higher percentage of wheat flour. The first rise was beautiful. After the second rise, I went to take the towel off, and they had all stuck to it. This made them fall a bit. I baked them anyway, and they tasted great!"
"I have made these rolls for at least 20 years now and for some reason I stopped making them. I was thinking about making clover looking rolls and these were the first ones I thought of."
"We love this rolls. Easy to put together and very tasty. We love to be able to refrigerate the dough overnight on Saturdays and enjoy fresh baked rolls on Sundays."