Whole Wheat Potato Rolls Recipe
My cousin’s classic-with-a-twist recipe is truly delish. Extra rolls freeze well. — Devon Vickers, Goddard, Kansas
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 to 4-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Quick-cooking oats, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, eggs, potato flakes, salt, yeast mixture, all-purpose flour and 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining whole wheat flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 24 balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°. Brush tops with melted butter; if desired, sprinkle with oats. Bake 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 24 rolls.
1 roll equals 182 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC