- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 to 4-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Quick-cooking oats, optional
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, eggs, potato flakes, salt, yeast mixture, all-purpose flour and 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining whole wheat flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 24 balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Brush tops with melted butter; if desired, sprinkle with oats. Bake 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 24 rolls.
Reviews for Whole Wheat Potato Rolls
Sort By :
"We loved these rolls, they were great fresh and leftover. Using as buns is a great idea!"
"The direction to add the yeast was left out of the magazine version, but it has been corrected here."
"When is the yeast added to the other ingredients? The recipe doesn't say..."
"These were great! The recipe made so many, we used the leftovers as hamburger buns!"
"So yummy, reminded me of the brown and serve rolls you by in the store only better."