Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Recipe
Pizza, egg pockets, stromboli—this make-ahead dough has endless potential for quick and impressive breakfasts, lunches or dinners.
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, salt and whole wheat flour; set aside. In a small saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°; stir into dry ingredients. Stir in enough white whole wheat flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes. Punch down dough; divide into three portions. Use immediately, refrigerate overnight or freeze for up to 1 month. Yield: 3 pounds (enough for 3 pizzas).
4 ounces uncooked dough equals 229 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 297 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC