Whole Wheat Pita Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups whole wheat flour
- All-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, salt 3 cups of whole wheat flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough whole wheat flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a surface dusted with all-purpose flour; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down; let rest for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into 12 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Knead each ball for 1 minute. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- 4. Grease baking sheets and sprinkle with cornmeal. Roll each ball into an 8-in. circle. Place on prepared baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 475° for 8-10 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. To serve, cut in half and split open. Stuff with fillings of your choice. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 each: 212 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 593mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein .
Reviews for Whole Wheat Pita Bread
"the taste is good, mine were not exactly pita bread, it was more like rolls big rolls, but they were soft. Will attempt again until I make pita bread"