Whole Wheat Pita Bread Recipe
After a trip to Israel, I fell in love with the rustic pita breads enjoyed with just about every meal. These nutritious whole wheat pitas are a favorite with young and old alike.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups whole wheat flour
- All-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, salt 3 cups of whole wheat flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough whole wheat flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a surface dusted with all-purpose flour; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down; let rest for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into 12 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Knead each ball for 1 minute. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- 4. Grease baking sheets and sprinkle with cornmeal. Roll each ball into an 8-in. circle. Place on prepared baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 475° for 8-10 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. To serve, cut in half and split open. Stuff with fillings of your choice. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 each: 212 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 593mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Whole Wheat Pita Bread
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC