Whole Wheat Orzo Salad Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta (about 1 pound)
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 English cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1-1/4 cups pitted Greek olives (about 6 ounces), chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain orzo; rinse with cold water.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Stir in orzo. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1-3/4 cups equals 411 calories, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 740 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.