Whole Wheat Honey Rolls Recipe
My husband loves whole wheat bread, so I have adapted most of my recipes to accommodate his taste buds. The creamy honey butter adds a little sweetness to these airy golden brown yeast rolls. -Linda Gunn, Reynolds, Georgia
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional melted butter
- HONEY BUTTER:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm buttermilk. Add the butter, honey, whole wheat flour, salt and baking soda. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into seven portions. Divide each portion into six pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Brush with melted butter. Bake at 400° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, beat butter and honey until smooth; serve with rolls. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 128 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC