- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional melted butter
- HONEY BUTTER:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm buttermilk. Add the butter, honey, whole wheat flour, salt and baking soda. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into seven portions. Divide each portion into six pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter. Bake at 400° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, beat butter and honey until smooth; serve with rolls. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Whole Wheat Honey Rolls
"Just polished of a few of these gems. They were light, flavorful and just sweet enough. I do need a tad more salt though. Definitely a keeper of a recipe!"
"Family raved about this as rolls and loaves of bread!"
"my family loves this and they are so easy to make"
"These rolls are A++ in every way. I had to use the entire 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour. I also added 2 tablespoons of wheat gluten like usual when I make bread without bread flour. The rolls have excellent texture and flavor."
"Wow! Absolutely loved these! They were perfect in every way. The honey butter is also delicious and so simple."