"When our family lived at home, I'd make eight loaves of this bread at a time," recalls Madeleine DeGruchy of Frankville, Nova Scotia. "Now that it's just my husband and me, I share with neighbors."
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons minced chives
- 4 teaspoons snipped fresh dill or 1-1/2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the whole wheat flour, sugar, chives, dill, shortening, salt and 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves. Place in 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Whole Wheat Herb Bread in Taste of Home April/May 1998, p17
Reviews for Whole Wheat Herb Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review