Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns Recipe
I never baked much bread—much less hamburger buns—until I worked as a baker at a ranch camp. This recipe from the camp files has become a favorite of mine.—Dawn Fagerstrom, Warren, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:14 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand 5 minutes. Add wheat flour, dry milk, sugar, salt, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons butter and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch down dough. Shape into 14 buns, about 3-1/2 in. in diameter. Place on greased baking sheets; brush with 1 teaspoon of remaining butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 14-16 minutes. Remove from baking sheets; brush with remaining butter. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 14 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 206 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 391 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC