- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand 5 minutes. Add wheat flour, dry milk, sugar, salt, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons butter and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Shape into 14 buns, about 3-1/2 in. in diameter. Place on greased baking sheets; brush with 1 teaspoon of remaining butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 14-16 minutes. Remove from baking sheets; brush with remaining butter. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews for Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
Sort By :
"Made the dough in my bread machine. Looked and tasted great."
"These turned out great! I let my bread maker do the work of mixing and kneading. I just made sure all my ingredients were room temperature first. When I melted the butter in the microwave, I added the lemon juice toward the end to warm that up after being in the refrigerator. I would say to use approximately 2 cups whole wheat flour and 3-4 cups bread flour. (I prefer bread flour over all-purpose.) I also always substitute honey for any sugar in recipes as sugar does not help my allergies at all. These are definitely better-tasting than store-bought. I plan to make more to freeze so I can have on hand whenever we want a burger or sandwich."
"Delicious! Great for burgers, sandwiches, or just dinner rolls too. Just make sure you shape the buns exactly how you want them to turn out because they don't rise or expand much once they are baking."
"Great , quick recipe to amke on storm-stayed day @ home !!"